Well yes you can. You can't copyright a subject--anyone can joke about a subject. You can't copyright a gag--if someone makes a similar joke to you, and it's funnier, they win. But you can copyright a gig. You can record a series of jokes. That's a real thing that can be copyrighted and exists.
I saw Lisa Lampanelli last weekend. She *has* to be above-board, because she's famous. But the idiot opening for her blatantly ripped off a Larry the Cable Guy joke. Of ALL the people to rip off, he chose a famous hack. Not even a good one.
He also wore a hat for 1 joke. Which means he wore a hat for 1 joke--he wore a hat for a whole set for 1 sad, hacky joke. He also based 80% of the rest of his act on Woody Allen's old comedy. He was neither new or better, just repetitious.
I am a comedy fan. I love new comedy. Hacks piss me off because they're useless. They're desperate for attention, but provide nothing. It you're a hack, you're not interesting.
No comments:
Post a Comment